Stop Harassing Phone Calls and Letters!
Are you being harassed by a debt collector? Do you need to stop unwanted calls?
If you have not been able to keep with paying your bills, your creditors will likely hire a debt collection company to pursue and recover the amount you owe. Congress passed the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) as a way to protect consumers from deceptive and abusive practices by debt collection companies. The FDCPA applies regardless of whether the consumer owes the debt.
Debts Protected Under the FDCPA:
- Credit Card Bills, Hospital Bills, Car Loans, any household bill, loans, generally speaking the FDCPA covers all loans except business loans.
Types of Violations Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act:
- Debt Collectors are not allowed to make false or misleading statements to you or a credit reporting agency.
- Calling you before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- Contacting a third-party about your debt, unless the third-party is your spouse or attorney, or contacting a third-party to obtain an address, phone number, or place of employment.
- Debt Collectors are prohibited from contacting you once you request in writing that they stop except for legal proceedings.
- If you request that the debt collector validate a debt, the debt collector must stop contacting you, unless they provide you with all required information pursuant to the validation letter.
- Debt collectors are not allowed to threaten violence, jail, use profanities or obscenities or any other harassing means when contacting you.
- There are many other violations and options to you under the FDCPA and under Florida statutes, contact the Law Offices of Shaya Markovic, P.A. for a free case evaluation at (786)529-2176.
Your Remedies When FDCPA Violation occurs:
- File a Lawsuit against the debt collectors when they violate the law.
- Make a demand for the debt collector stops contacting you. My Office Provides This Service Free of Charge!
If you would like a free consultation about debt collection practices, feel free to call my office to set up a free consultation. Many of our cases are handles on a contingency basis, which means there is no fee unless we recover money for you! My office is available to discuss your case on the nights and weekends. Call (786)529-2176 to make your appointment today!